Senior Software Engineer
We're on the look out for a senior software engineer to come and join our expanding team. If you've had strong experience leading teams, and working hands on with web applications, and React and nodejs. (Even if you haven't worked with all of those you should still get in touch).
A New Zealand valid work visa or residency is required for this position.
Life happens, it's unpredictable, and let's be honest, there's enough to worry about. Insurance can help people breathe that little bit easier knowing they’re covered when life throws a 'curly one'. The problem is that it's often confusing and time consuming to buy, resulting in widespread underinsurance.
So at JRNY, our mission is to help more people breathe easy knowing the most appropriate insurance for them has their back.
To fulfil our mission, we help insurance providers protect people better. Our white labelled Insurance Distribution Platform allows insurers to simplify insurance for their customers, offer consistent and compliant advice, and distribute policies more efficiently. A deeper understanding of their customers also helps them improve their products and services continuously. The result is that more people are better covered at the right time.
When joining our team, you will find yourself in a fast-paced environment where the tasks are challenging and your ideas can make a difference. You are passionate about helping lead a team to write beautiful code and hungry to learn more. You love to deep-dive into the nitty-gritty of things to deliver the best possible product. You consider yourself forward-thinking and don’t mind the hustle that comes with a startup environment.
If this is ticking all the right boxes, then read on my friend... Are you ready to go on a JRNY?
As a member of the engineering team at JRNY you’d be expected to play a pivotal role in building out our insurance distribution platform. You’d be able to help shape architecture, technical decisions and code direction across the engineering stack.
- Building out the capabilities of our insurance distribution product, with the help of both our CTO and Head of Product.
- Maintaining and fixing bugs and issues on the codebase
- Helping scope out and build new features
- Helping define software patterns and practices for future engineers on the team
- Mentoring junior engineers and being part of a proactive team
- Helping with hiring interviews and building out the team as needed
- Other responsibilities should the need arise
- New Zealand based - We'd prefer someone able to work from Wellington but we're open to considering other regions, we have a presence in Auckland and Arrowtown as well.
We don't focus on a CV but instead want to hear about your unique experiences and what would make you an amazing member of the JRNY engineering team.
Some experience of the following would be useful:
- SQL Databases (PostgreSQL in this case) Have you worked with SQL queries, ORMs or other technology around databases?
- APIs - or more definitively REST based web APIs. We interact with a lot of systems and so a knowledge of these would be a bonus.
- React - Our front end code is all React.js based, some knowledge of this would be an advantage.
We offer a flexible work environment with the opportunity to progress your career as the team grows. You get the chance to work with an early stage startup with a global ambition and be part of a remarkable and supportive team where innovation and personal growth is part of the ethos.
Also, you will be around a bunch of great conversation and a team growing as the company grows.